This is a picture of the medallion worn by the President of the Essex County Medical Society and is passed down to the new incoming President each year at our Annual Dinner Meeting, held in December. The medallion was made by the Old Gold Shop and was presented in 1957 to the then Essex County Medical Society's president, Dr. J. G. Campbell, by the then Ontario Medical Association's president, Dr. M. S. Douglas.
A Brief History of the Essex County Medical Society The Essex County Medical Society came into being in December 1913, as Successor to the Windsor Medical Society. The exact date of organization of the earlier group is in doubt; but it seems likely that it originated about the year 1870. The pioneer in organizing this Society was Dr. Richard Carney, a graduate of Bellevue Medical College, New York City, as well as the University of Toronto. Upon graduation from the latter University in 1869 Dr. Carney came to Windsor. Assisted by Dr. C. E. Casgrain, who had commenced practice in 1856, and Dr. John Coventry who came to Windsor in 1866, the Windsor Medical Society was organized.
Following several active years, the Windsor Medical Society finally fell into a state of lethargy. It was revitalized in 1905 by Dr. J. W. Brien, who had set up practice the previous year in Windsor. About the year 1911, the Ontario Medical Association passed a resolution suggesting to the various Medical Societies of the province that they reorganize into County or District Societies. Membership in the County Society was to be a prerequisite to membership in the Provincial Association. Following this suggestion the Windsor Medical Society was expanded into the Essex County Medical Society in December 1913, with Dr. J. W. Brien as the first president, and with an initial membership of 18 to 20 doctors. This Society has from that time remained active, and at the present time the number of members exceeds 400.
taken from '75 Years of Dedication' by Dr. John Fry